My review
Well, the day has finally come. I have finished all 1462 pages of Monte Cristo. Here’s what I thought:
This book was AMAZING! I can’t imagine what they could possibly have taken out to make the abridged version. If you’re considering reading one or the other, I recommend taking the plunge and reading the unabridged.
The character development is absolutely incredible. I feel like I know every character personally.
If you’re planning on reading either one, just be aware that if you have seen the movie, the book ends quite differently. I personally prefer the way the book ends, but some prefer the movie’s incredibly convenient way of ending.
Quotes from the book:
“In politics…there are no men, but ideas–no feelings, but interests; in politics we do not kill a man, we only remove an obstacle.” (pg 124)
“For in prosperity prayers seem but a mere assemblage of words until the day when misfortune comes to explain to the unhappy sufferer the sublime language by which he invokes the pity of Heaven!” (pg 150)
“…to learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy makes the other.” (pg 195)
“Tell the angel who will watch over your future destiny…to pray sometimes for a man who, like Satan, thought himself, for an instant, equal to God; but who now acknowledges, with Christian humility, that God alone possesses supreme power and infinite wisdom.”
“He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die,…that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life.”
“…until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, ‘Wait and hope.’”

No comments:
Post a Comment