Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My little bottle hater...

So, before Cami was even one week old, she was drinking from a bottle once a night. My mom actually fed her her first bottle (It was my milk, of course) and Blair fed her almost every night so that I could get a good chunk of sleep. Well, when Cami started sleeping a little more regularly during the night, and Blair had to go back to school, I took over all the feedings, and Cami went at least a month without being fed by bottle. So...the other day in anticipation for the Ball on the Belle, we decided to see where we were as far as bottle feeding goes, to know if we could actually leave her with someone for longer than 2 hours. The answer to that question was a big Fat NO!!!!!

Unfortunately for Blair, we had been told that I shouldn't be the one giving her the bottle to avoid nipple confusion, so he was the one that spent 10-15 minutes trying to get her to feed from the bottle for the last few nights. The only result is that now Blair is worried Cami will never forgive him for his 'tough love'.

I went out today to buy a better bottle to see if she'd take it (we had the cheap Gerber ones, and I went and bought a Dr. Brown's bottle). Did it work? Definitely not. I had to lock myself in our bedroom and I could still hear her sad sad cries. Finally, he gave up and brought her to me to be fed. It took me some good effort to calm her down in order to eat. Poor thing...

I think we have officially given up for the time being. I guess date night will just have to be under 2 hours for the time being. And to think that a temple session doesn't even fit in that time frame. Hopefully we'll be forgiven for our lack of attendance. Or maybe I'll just make Blair go twice as often... :)

5 comments:

John and Erin said...

the doctor browns nipples are the same as the gerbers essentially...try the Soothie brand or the advent. Their nipples are different. The soothies are the same as those big green pacifiers they give to them in the hospital. Not that I have a baby, but I would be willing to try anything if it were me, and I know that those nipples are different from the avg. Anyways...best of luck!

The Wilkes said...

We had the same problem with Avery...she never took a bottle and screamed bloody murder everytime we tried. We found we had to go out on dates late at night once she was in bed for the evening. You might just have to wait until she can go longer inbetween feedings.

Also, around 6 months you might want to try introducing a sippy cup with water in it. She probably will just play with it but it helps when you're done nursing to go straight to that rather than ever even trying to mess with a bottle, just a suggestion.

The Mortenson Family said...

Don't get too discouraged. Between 4 and 6 months they start eating baby foods which will hold them off for a while... date night can be a little longer =) Meg and Ben NEVER took a bottle. Oh, I tried, but without success. I think some of it is just baby preference and personality. Zac, on the other hand begs for his bottle on a daily basis. Good luck! Oh, and I'd suggest trying the Avent ones too, I had the best luck with those. If she doesn't take it though, just be happy you'll never have to break her of it! =)

Ashly said...

hey Laura! I found your blog when I was looking around on facebook, so I hope you don't mind me stalking you? ;) Your little girl is gorgeous! No suggestions for the bottle thing- I still haven't tried giving Brooklyn a bottle and hopefully I won't regret it....in fact, maybe I'll give it a go tonight just to see what she does...

Kelly Family said...

Good to see you have a blog (facebook is so knowledgable :) ) your little girl is so cute! Glad to see your family is doing well.