Friday, August 5, 2011

Girl's Camp 2011

So, I can't find the charger for my camera, so I haven't been taking many pictures lately. I have a handful on my phone, but it's not super easy to get them off (or at least I haven't taken the time to figure it out)

I wanted to do a little post about Girl's Camp for the record books. We left Tuesday morning and took the 2 hour drive down there. I let the girls watch a movie, and I quickly regretted it as every time I said something, I had to remind myself that I was talking to myself. Made it kind of lonely.

Soon as we got there, we started setting up tents. In 95 degree heat. And crazy humidity. I was exhausted in no time, but even so, Tuesday was a good day. Wednesday we had a heat index of 105, and it was not an easy day. That day we had something scheduled every hour, and things started running behind, so dinner wasn't until 7pm. (8pm EST, as we were in CST) I had a migraine, was dehydrated, and had raging leg cramps from all the walking and standing, so I was not "a happy camper". I was ready to come home, and probably would have if the option was available.

Thursday was my birthday. :) I started out dreading the day, as we had a hike we had to go on, and the heat index was supposed to be around 105 again. But, the birthday texts and facebook posts started rolling in, and my mood was changed immediately. Another leader let me out of going on the hike, so I was able to take a nap and take it easy. My mom called, and Cami sang Happy Birthday, and I cried my eyes out. I missed my kids and my husband desperately, but things were doing good otherwise. All the girls sang to me that night (twice) and I stayed up late chatting the night away with other leaders.

Friday was a lot slower paced, and the schedule wasn't as packed. The temp didn't get higher than 88, so that was a huge blessing as well. We had our ward activities and devotional, and that was my favorite part of the week. Then we went right into the testimony meeting which lasted 2 hours. The girls really seemed to get a lot out of camp, and that made all the planning and preparing and being away from my family so I could sleep in a tent worth it. I feel 10 times closer to all the girls, and I am so glad I made the sacrifice to go. And I'm grateful my kids had a great place to stay so that I wouldn't have to worry about them. In fact, I worried more about Blair than about the kids...:)

1 comment:

Momma Me! said...

I've always thought it would be fun to chaperone Girls Camp but I'm not sure how I would do with the heat. I'm glad it all turned out well and you had a good time. Josh went to teach your brother a violin lesson and I saw little Noah at the door. He is getting so big!