Monday, April 16, 2012

Big Boy Bed


The Toddler bed has been up for a week or so, but I hadn't been serious about having Noah actually sleep in it at night yet. I let him spend a naptime in the room one day last week, but he never actually slept. Last night, I just decided at the last minute that we were going to give it a shot. I wasn't expecting it to take, but I wanted to give it a solid effort. So for about 30 minutes, I stayed just outside the door ready to come in every few minutes and remind him to stay in bed. Cami was having a really hard time with it by the end, but it felt right to have her in there for the process. She did help quite a bit, except for when she threw a toy at him when he got out of his bed and climbed in with her, and when she tackled him to the ground when he got out of bed for the 10th time. I can't really blame her, though...she actually WANTED to go to sleep. After what I had decided was going to be the last try for the night, I waited about 10 minutes and then went in to find him FAST ASLEEP. There was a tiny part of me that got really sad all of a sudden. This was it. He did it. He's a big boy. No looking back.


It doesn't help that this week we also got rid of the bottle. I let my kids keep their bottles until right around 2 years, and so I knew the countdown was on. One day I didn't have any clean ones ready, so I just gave him his morning milk in a sippy cup. He thought I had lost my mind or something and got down off the couch and took his milk over to Cami, who had already finished hers before he had woken up. He thought I had given him her milk by accident! It was cute...but when I said "No, this is for Noah!" he got pretty upset. I just sat it next to him on the couch, and after about 10 minutes of watching his morning tv shows, he picked it up and drank it down like it was nothing. Each time after that it took a minute or two less for him to accept it and drink it, and yesterday it wasn't a big deal at all. I give it to him, he drinks it. Done. Thank heavens. :) And yet...I was still SO sad when I packed up the bottles and put them away. I'm a weirdo. The fact that another baby is coming in 5 or so months helps a little, but he's my baby Noah!

He'll be 2 in less than 2 weeks! CRAZY!!!

No comments: