
I found this slideshow of people protesting Section 8 in front of the LA Temple.
I am speechless.
I'm not angry, though. Just really, really Sad. I wish there was an easy way to keep the sacred definition of marriage the way it is without drawing out the feelings that are portrayed in these pictures. I see all the signs saying "Don't Hate" and I just want to cry. I don't hate these people, and I know the church doesn't either...we just believe so strongly in the definition of marriage, and HAVE to fight to keep it that way.
I know what it is like to want so badly for a real, sacred marriage. To want to do it the RIGHT way and NO other way. I try to imagine what it would be like to be told that I couldn't be 'married' but only in a 'union' with the one I love. It would be heartbreaking. Devastating.
But that doesn't change what I believe. And it doesn't change the fact that I want my children to know what marriage is. What Heavenly Father intended it to be.
I know I have a lot of friends reading this who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I also have a few reading who aren't. For those who are, this is my plea:
Be loving. Be understanding. Be strong with your convictions, but Please Don't Hate.
7 comments:
laura- amen. the thing that I take issue with is the hypocrisy in these "demonstrations"- those who are demanding the world to see things their way are the same ones unable to accept the religious views of others. But you're absolutely right- either side of the matter, showing hatred or anger is a dead end- and that is NOT what the gospel teaches. there's no room for it and if the LDS people, as a group, were to give in to it, then *we* become hypocrites. we *can* love people without agreeing with behaviors.
as for the Bumbo- Brooklyn started using it a few days ago- but she would have been ready for it a month ago. If Cami's good strong head support, she'll be good to go! I wish I'd had one for my other kids :)
I just read a wonderful quote by a Roman Catholic bishop on the church Newsroom site. You should check it out...
Laura... I love this! :)
As someone who doesn't share all the same views as you, as we both know, I respect your right to believe what you do, and I wish others would follow in your footsteps with your message of love.
I've tossed and turned with how I feel about gay "marriage." I don't know if I think changing an institution is something that should be done, but I do agree with equal rights and feel so very badly for my gay friends that want their relationship to be a "marriage" and not a civil union. I wish there was a clear cut solution, but it seems there never is. Do we change a sacred institution that has been set and give them the EXACT same rights as any other married couple without the title of marriage, or do we change the meaning of marriage?
I'm honestly on the fence with this issue, and a lot of people seem surprised because I tend to have very liberal views. I want gay couples (and gay and transgender people) to have the exact same rights as everyone else, but changing I honestly don't know about changing an institution.
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone believed the same things?! hmm... just kidding, no, no it won't. We need different and free thinkers to help the world, but it would be nicer if everyone was considerate when sharing their views. :)
This was a great post. The other day on the Today show all of their shots of the people protesting were in front of the Temple. I saw a lot of signs that had negative sayings about our church and it made me really sad too. The church leaders in CA encouraged members to go and vote for Prop. 8 and because the church doesn't take a stand with politics, I know it was very important. I just wish that they knew that we don't hate them, we too are just standing up for what we believe in. It's a sensitive topic and you brought it up in a delicate way!
Well said! I completely agree. Adam and I were talking about this the other night. We just need to keep living what we believe and continue to love and pray for those around us.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new blog design!!! You look BEAUTIFUL!!!! And Cami is a Cutie!!!
Hey Laura! I love your family pic at the top. Thanks for this post. I think it hits the points well, and focuses on what we all should have which is love toward others.
Post a Comment