I knew I was going to read this one eventually, but when I heard President Monson refer to it in a recent CES Fireside (yes...I watched it) I really wanted to make it my next read. I loved Tale of Two Cities, so I was quite ready to read another of Dickens'.
Blair warned me that the book was depressing, so I was expecting to not like it, but I knew that I wouldn't regret reading it.
I had no idea that I would end up giving it 5 stars.
I wish I had the kind training that it would take to properly review books like these. I felt so many different emotions. So many times I wanted to cry (if I was a crier, I probably would have). At other times, I was just so mad at different characters. "How could someone be so stupid and shallow and ungrateful?" At times I wanted to give one of the characters a hug and let them know that life is about more than just "expectations" of wealth and station. Where for the majority of the book I hated a certain character, I came to pity them in the end and wish that their life had turned out differently.
If you're looking for a meat and potatoes read that leaves you out of breath from all the twists and turns, then I recommend this one whole heartedly.
Just don't expect it to be happy and convenient like so many other books (cough cough Twilight series cough cough).
1 comment:
lol, i love the twilight series reference. i don't think i would've have been all that upset if it ended sadly... it would have made it more deep and interesting for me =)
Post a Comment